Hi, I'm Jeffrey Serio. This is my home on the web. Welcome.
- Based in the Chicago area.
- Born on March 15th, 1988.
- Sensitive, introverted, intuitive. I come across as shy and reserved at first, but I open up when I get more comfortable with people. I have a tendency to become withdrawn and distant when I'm overwhelmed.
- Aspiring system administrator and programmer.
- I have a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from University of Illinois-Springfield.
- Mental health advocate.
- Favorite things are: free software, free culture, diversity, open access/free knowledge, minimalism, automation, programming, video-games, role-playing games, language, and coffee.
- Academia and science appreciator
- I dislike monocultures, non-consensual power structures, and closed-mindedness.
- He/him/his, they/them/their, e/em/eir
- I'm genderfluid. More specifically, I'm a demi-gendered man, which means I identify as mostly masculine but have some feminine markers.
- I have schizoaffective disorder (depressive type) and OCD. I was diagnosed in September of 2007 and have been taking medication since 2006. I also recently realized I have cPTSD. Secondary symptoms that stem from these include sensory processing issues, social anxiety, selective mutism, speech articulation issues, and agoraphobia.
My stomping grounds around the Internet.
|Desktop OS||Vauxite (immutable Fedora-based Xfce desktop)|
|Home lab OS||Debian GNU/Linux|
|VPS OS||Rocky Linux|
|Gemini||Lagrange (GUI), Amfora (TUI)|
I'm very interested in how other people do their computing. I enjoy seeing workstation setups, dotfiles, what software and tools others use as daily drivers. You know how like some people ask for photos of pets to cheer them up when they are feeling down? Well, I ask for computing setup screenshots and dotfiles repositories.
Below is an outline of topics I'm interested in and would like to learn more about:
- Go, Python
- Rust (possibly at some point)
- Computer networking
- Unix/Linux system administration
- Bash, Zsh, shell scripting
- Immutable operating systems and containerized workflows
- Operating systems (theory, design, implementation)
- Public philosophy and public reasoning
- Mental health advocacy
- Mental illness
- Digital rights
- Open research and open access
- Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
- Language and linguistics
- Mythology and folklore
- Hacker culture
- Hacker ethic
- Pirate party: something I really admire but which is unlikely to gain a foothold in corporate capitalist America.
- High fantasy / medieval fantasy and science fiction
- Role-playing games: Only video games for now, but One of These Days™ I will get into table-top gaming. I have really bad social anxiety and am not situated in any regular friend group, so it's going to take some time. I've heard there are places online where I can join beginner-friendly gaming groups. When I see people sharing or discussing their OCs (original characters), I feel a combination of inspiration and envy/FOMO.
© Jeffrey Serio
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.