The web home of me. Jeffrey Serio. Aka hyperreal.
- Based in the Chicago area.
- Born on March 15th, 1988.
- Sensitive, introverted, intuitive.
- I'm shy and might come across as reserved and standoffish at first, but I open up when I get more comfortable with people.
- Aspiring system administrator and programmer.
- I have a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from University of Illinois-Springfield.
- Mental illness and mental health advocate.
- Favorite things: free and open source software/culture/content/access, diversity, automation, programming, logic, video games, role-playing games, language, and coffee.
- I dislike monocultures, non-consensual power structures, and closed-mindedness.
- He/him/his, they/them/their
- I'm genderfluid. More specifically, I'm a demi-gendered man, which means I identify as mostly masculine and have some feminine markers.
- I have schizoaffective disorder and OCD. I was diagnosed in September of 2007 and have been taking medication since 2006. Secondary symptoms that stem from these include social phobia, selective mutism, speech articulation issues, and agoraphobia.
- I'm an atheist/naturalist and secular humanist.
- Politically, I'm a pragmatic libertarian socialist. I support democracy, pluralism, and the ideals of the Pirate Party.
Below is an outline of things I'm interested in and would like to learn more about:
- Unix/Linux system administration
- computer networking
- bash, zsh, shell scripting
- programming languages
- type-safe and memory-safe programming
- public philosophy and public reasoning
- Internet archiving
- Gemini protocol and the Smolnet
- decentralized internet
- digital rights
- free and open source software/culture/content/access
- Wikipedia and other WikiMedia projects
- mental illness and mental health awareness
- language and linguistics
- mythology and folklore
- Hacker culture
- Hacker ethic
- high fantasy / medieval fantasy and science fiction
- role-playing games: Only video games for now, but One Of These Days™ I will get into table-top gaming.